I honestly have been struggling to post something today. I’ve had a lot of ideas but I am mentally tired. I’ve been trying to practice some digital detox habits in my life too, but it’s almost impossible now that my job revolves around staring at the screen. Even my personal project involves the laptop and the internet.
But I refused to give up from my schedule to post every Monday and Friday just because I feel “meh” today.
With that, I am leaving you a spontaneous lists of reminders when you don’t feel good about yourself.
- Remember that it’s okay to take a break and feel tired. You are human and it’s normal to feel off on some days.
- Fill yourself with something that reminds you about the good things in life. Read. Go out and play. Draw. Doodle. Express yourself.
- Focus on working yourself within. When you find yourself comparing your life with those of others, remember your life won’t change nor will theirs. These are just thoughts and distractions from your own journey for a better you.
- You are not worthless nor are you guilty for the genuine mistakes that you’ve made. Mistakes are made so that you’ll grow and you’ll understand that life isn’t about attaining perfection but doing the best that you can.
- Listen when you breathe. Feel with your skin. Think with only beautiful thoughts.
- Count numbers without disruptions until you’ve come back to the present time.
- Let your feelings flow. Don’t hold it back. It’s time to understand how you would need to deal with sadness, anger and all things uncomfortable so that you’d know that these feelings are not meant to put into a box.
- Close your eyes for a moment and imagine yourself to a place and time when you’ve felt you were being your best self. That person is still you and even more.
- Don’t be afraid of the silence and loneliness. Indulge yourself in a conversation with the As-Sami’ (the All-Hearing, the Ever-Listening).
- Listen carefully to the sounds around you. Contemplate but don’t go too far. Come back as you’ve discovered what it is that you’ve been searching for today.
- Hug your cats (bias over here) and listen to them purr.
- You don’t need to hustle every single day.
- Walk away and rest.
- Let the thoughts that you’ve thought from the past visit your mind but don’t let them stay. These are all the past; there’s nothing that you could’ve done or changed. Stop with the “what ifs” as that would open doors to doubts and whispers from the devil.
- You are not here to please anyone but Allah. Let all other expectations to rest.
- You are not a bad person for feeling what you are feeling and thinking about what you’re thinking.
- Be kind to yourself when you’ve been so hard on yourself.
- Learn to forgive others and yourself. Take your time and find a way as to not compromise your best self.
- Embrace your weaknesses and don’t be ashamed of yourself because of them. We are all a work-in-progress.
- Before the creations of the universe, remember there was only One who made this world possible. He’s always been there—the One who has made your life this far and possible.